What is CEREC?
CEREC stands for Ceramic Reconstruction, and is a sophisticated system of designing and making high quality, metal-free dental restorations in one patient visit.
Developed by Sirona, CEREC utilizes 3D photography and CAD/CAM technology to assist a dentist in designing a virtual restoration (onlay, inlay, crown, or bridge) without taking impressions. When combined with a milling unit, it is able to build the actual restoration while you are still in the chair.
How it works:
The cavity preparation is first photographed and stored as 3 dimensional digital model and patented software is then used to approximate the restoration shape using biogeneric comparisons to surrounding teeth. The dentist then refines that model using 3D CAD software. When the model is complete, a milling machine carves the actual restoration out of a ceramic block using diamond head cutters under computer control. When complete, the restoration is bonded to the tooth using a resin.
There is an important value of what CEREC brings to a practice and the patient. There are many benefits to utilizing this advanced technology.
• Digital impressions for restorations (no more gagging on impression material!)
• Precise restorations that look excellent, fit perfectly, and last a long time.
• Made out of bio-compatible, metal-free materials that are kind to the gingiva and non-allergenic.
• Same day procedures (crown is completed same day, no other appointment needed!)
• No temporary crown is needed.
How do you know if you need a CEREC restoration?
• You have been told you need a new crown, inlay, or onlay.
• You have a cracked tooth, old failing restorations, or otherwise large damage on your teeth.
• If you are interested in replacing old metal restorations with bio-compatible
restorations, or if an old restoration needs replacing, CEREC may be a good option for you.