1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Carol while you clean: for two minutes each time. The average person brushes for only 30 seconds.
2. Floss at least once a day. If you don’t floss, you are not cleaning 35% of your teeth surfaces.
3. Avoid those candy canes and eggnog this season. No milk and cookies before bed, unless you are going to brush and floss again.
4. Chew sugar free gum – The chewing of sugarless gum increases the flow of saliva, which washes away food and other debris, neutralizes acids produced by bacteria in the mouth and provides disease-fighting substances throughout the mouth.
5. Rinse daily with a fluoride rinse or have the fluoride treatment done at your dentist.
6. Cleanings – see your hygienist at least twice a year or more if you have CVD; diabetes.
7. Scrape/brush tongue every morning, the same plaque you feel on your teeth when you wake up is also covering your tongue.
8. Remember to change your toothbrush every 3 months, or after being sick.
9. Oral cancer exam – something done once yearly in our office using a special light.
10. Wear your retainer/nightguard – teeth have a memory and will shift back into their original positions if retainers are not worn. Nightguards help patients that grind their teeth while they sleep. Grinding can cause numerous dental issues, including tooth erosion and TMJ problems.
11. Have sealants placed on your child’s teeth – we recommend sealants on a child’s adult molars as soon as they erupt. Sealants are a thin plastic coating bonded to the tooth, filling in the deep grooves and protecting them from cavities.
12. Smile! If you are not smiling because of your teeth color/shape, come see us! We can help you smile big and bright.