Periodontal disease is a risk factor (co-morbidity) for COVID-19 illness.
The mouth is the portal to your body and the portal to a healthy life.
In a study conducted by a team of international scientists found that patients who have been Hospitalized with COVID-19 were more likely to die of respiratory failure if they had gum disease before becoming infected with COVID.
Having periodontal disease increases your risk 22x of developing respiratory complications and being placed on a ventilator. (80% of patients placed on ventilators die)
Periodontal disease is an inflammatory disease of the gums caused by certain types of Bacteria mechanisms.
• The gums that hold our teeth in place have many blood vessels that bacteria can get into and spread throughout the body.
• Bacteria from your mouth can be aspirated directly into the respiratory tract.
Overflow of inflammatory proteins, namely Interleukin 6 (IL6) into the systemic circulation causing systemic inflammation.
Swallowing of saliva – Pathogens can reach the gut. Some bacteria (P Gingivalis) can withstand the stomach acids & colonize – viruses promote the colonization.
Since the cause of mortality of COVID-19 rate is out of control inflammation, a solution maybe to decrease inflammation in your body wherever possible including the gums.
• Practice Good Oral Hygiene
– Have a professional cleaning by your Dental Hygienist (especially if you have one of the Co-Morbidities, – diabetes, hypertension, asthma, COPD
• MIT recently published a study stating that going to the Dentist is safe as compared to the risk. (Benefits outweigh the risk)
• Eat a well- balanced diet and avoid sugar & processed carbs which increases inflammatory proteins.
• Take vitamins
5,000 iu Vitamin D
2,000 iu Vitamin C
50 mg Zinc